No matter the project, it is important to choose your contractor wisely. Below are a few things to consider when comparing basement remodeling contractors in Aurora CO, Castle Rock, Parker, and surrounding areas:
- How long have they been in business?
- What is their rating with the Better Business Bureau? (Phone 303.758.2100 for automated information.)
- Are they licensed and insured, and can they provide documentation of this?
- Do they have a good sense of humor? (Just kidding)
- Are the subcontractors they use, such as plumbers and electricians licensed master technicians? (It is illegal to perform these two trades without a proper license, and may even void your homeowners insurance.)
- Are they licensed, and do they carry enough liability insurance to replace your home? (i.e. $2,000,000.00).
- Do they return your calls promptly? Did they prepare your bid in a timely fashion? (Delays at this point are not a good indication of prompt, timely service to come.)
- Is their bid complete and comprehensive? Are there hidden costs to be added later? Is the presentation of the bid as professional as you would expect the rest of the service to be?
- Do they provide you with their home telephone number?
- Do they provide current references? (Anyone can have one or two good references in a couple of years.)
- Do they operate from the back of their truck? Or do they have a complete business plan?
- What is their trade background? Management? Framing? Trim Carpentry? Cabinetry? Plumbing? Electrical? (Remember someone will need to coordinate, monitor, and ensure the quality of several different trades.)
- Are each of the tradesmen who will be performing the work proficient and well trained in their field? (i.e.: seven to thirty-five years experience)
- Do they maintain a safe and clean job-site and respect the fact that you are living just upstairs, or are they used to working on new construction sites where they do not have to pick up after themselves. Our jobs are maintained in a clean and safe manner every day.
- Do they maintain consistent communication to keep you informed of progress, scheduling, choices and decisions needed from you?
- Did they charge enough for the project to stay in business and complete the job? Or will you be scrambling to find someone to finish your basement?
All of my references, older and more recent, still reflect positively on these questions. Please take time to talk to a few of our references from our Reference List, or even go have a look at our quality of workmanship.
- Gerald L. Vidmar, Owner and President, Custom Integrated Designs
Copyright and Disclaimer: No part of this web site may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form via electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recoding or otherwise, without prior written permission of CID Basements. Emailing, faxing, saving or printing of any web page by a resident who is looking for a quality basement contractor is exempt. This information is believed to be reliable, thus its accuracy and completeness, and the opinions based thereon, are not guaranteed by C.I.D.
"Not always the least expensive, rarely the most expensive, but always the best value! ™"